
TJ Montgomery
Stephanie Gai
English 100
01 February 2009
The Legacy
Being involved extracurricular activities has always been the highlight of my busy life. All through grade school I found that participating in fun, interactivities made school much more pleasant. Teachers, homework and quizzes are great when working on developing your mental capacity; however, when it comes to the social side of school, clubs are a necessity.
Here on the HSU campus I am involved in quite a few clubs that promote civil services and positive change. One of them, The Legacy, is an all female organization for minorities that upholds the most significant standards of community involvement. It takes money to help the community and the first HSU home football game of the season was going to help us do that.
The Legacy is always having some type of fundraising event to finance a community service project. This Thanksgiving The Legacy would like to purchase enough groceries for four needy families to have a bountiful holiday. We raised part of the funds at the game selling fresh fruit parfaits.
Syrupy strawberries, tart blueberries, juicy mandarin oranges, sweet honey dew melon, plump peaches, three different delicious kinds of yogurts and crunchy granola littered our table. People were flocking from areas of the field and bleachers to inquire about our tasty treats. Surprisingly enough, the crowd was more interested in the cold hot dogs and stale nachos being sold six yards away.
I just don’t get it. It’s Humboldt! Everybody here, okay not everybody, but a lot of people here are quite serious about eating natural, healthy food and yet we didn’t meet our minimal goal; which was to only break even. We stayed for the entire game and watched our team give their best efforts. We didn’t win our first game, nor did we raise all the funds needed but I still had fun. I enjoyed being outside interacting with others and experiencing my first college football game ever.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't break even. I would have partook in parfait.
ReplyDelete