
TJ Montgomery
Stephanie Gai
English 100
28 February 2009
Questioning the Text:
In, “In Praise of Chain Stores,” Virginia Postrel appeals to the values of cultural distinction. She conceives the idea that it is weather, geography, history, along with uniqueness that gives towns their identities and not the shopping opportunities made available. In her own words, “Stores don’t give places their character. Terrain and weather and culture do.” She clearly states that towns like Chandler, Arizona should rely on their natural differences to separate themselves from the rest of the nation.
When building a life, Postrel suggests that memories and sentimental value are what is important to consider. She gives an example of a family sharing a meal at a mall food court being just as precious and fulfilling as those of a family of an older generation at local diners of Route 66.
Jonah Goldberg’s “Global Cooling Costs Too Much,” reveals his style of delivery of information. Goldberg’s use of both scientific and statistical evidence proves to be persuasive. I found myself oddly impressed with the unusual theory of cause and effect between the Earth’s increasing temperature with an increased Gross Domestic Product. His use of evidence on the Kyoto Protocol leads me to believe that the inhabitants of Earth might as well the rewards of the increased GDP, since all of what we know about reducing mankind’s influence on wear and tear of the Earth isn’t proven to make any immediate significant changes.
As far as Goldberg giving me the impression that he has no idea of what he is writing, is non-existent. I’m pretty sure that have purchased every piece of evidence he was peddling. While I do trust his statistics, I do have to wonder if they are relevant to each other. Even more so, does one affect another? Because of the style the evidence had been presented in, I believed it. But I can’t but wonder that if I had been given all of the facts without any influence on what is to be paralleled. Would I have come to the same conclusions?

The cartoon is a great addition!
ReplyDelete